Thursday, August 30, 2007

SUCCESSFUL INTUITION


Common people make daily decisions (including the most important in their life), in different way like one makes scientifically (reasoned calculation of variables and probabilities by means of computers). Semi-ignorant people pressed by limited time, shortage of knowledge and/or computational capacities, uses the rule of thumb, a quick, not planned system that induces to act to people, by means of certain environmental guides. The method allows to predict –for example- with success, the size of a city, being based in the number of universities, inter-cities trains or the success of its soccer team. Gerd Gigerenzer, Director of Human Development of the Institute Max Planck of Berlin, defines this quality like intuition, a system that takes advantage of the synthesis capacities, of the human brain, accumulated with the time, experience and evolution. Its basic characteristic is that of among many ecological variables, it always chooses only one (the best), discarding the remaining ones, for unnecessary. Gigerenzer argues that the rule of the thumb frequently overcomes the wisdom of experts, adding that intuitions are also used in science (qualitative jumps), be that exist or not, enough data.


Gigerenzer also said that most of people are not equipped to manage uncertainties, or to take calculated risks, although strategies exist for it. But that to deny the uncertainty in many aspects of our life, the common citizen should recognize his lack of knowledge of principles of statistical thought (numeric illiteracy according to John Alan Paulos). Our recent last history was friend of certainty. Algebra, Geometry and Calculus taught us to think in a world of certainty. Some doctors say "If I tell to my patients that the treatment is not 100 sure%, they become nervous". In fact, professionals should provide all relevant information (pros and cons). According to some surveys, so much in USA and Europe, if a 40 year-old woman is informed that her mammography is positive for cancer, she as much as her doctors don't have clear if the possibilities to have cancer are: 99%, 95%, 90% or single 50%. The possibility that a woman with cancer (diagnosed previously), have a positive mammography, is 90%. If she doesn't have cancer, the probability that their mammography is positive (false positive), is 9%. In technical terms her chance of having cancer is: 1%. according to Gigerenzer, when this woman asks : Do I have cancer?, a 1/3 of doctors of experience respond: you has 90%, of possibilities, other 1/3: 50%-80% and the remaining 1/3: among 1% -10%. Gigerenzer recommends to explain this with natural frequencies (like in our daily life, that demand less calculation): Think in a sample of 100 women. 1 woman (1% of the sample),that has proved cancer has 90% of possibilities that her mammography be positive. 9, of the 99 remaining women (without cancer), will have positive mammographies (9 falses positives). Adding: 10 of 100 women, will have positive mammographies. 1 of each 10 positive mammographies (of this sample), will belong to a woman with cancer, a quite low probability (1% of the sample).


EFICACIA DE LA INTUITION.


La gente común toma decisiones diariamente (incluyendo las más importantes de su vida), en forma diferente a como se hace científicamente (calculo razonado de variables y probabilidades mediante computadoras). El lego o, semiignorante presionado por tiempo limitado, escasez de conocimientos y/o capacidades computacionales emplea la regla del pulgar, un sistema rapido, no planificado, que induce a actuar a las personas, mediante ciertas guias medioambientales. El metodo permite predecir con éxito, el tamaño de una ciudad, basandose en el numero de universidades, trenes inter-ciudades o. éxito de su equipo de futbol. Gerd Gigerenzer, Director de Desarrollo Humano del Instituto
Max Planck de Berlin, define esta cualidad como intuición, un sistema que aprovecha las capacidades de síntesis, del cerebro humano, acumuladas con el tiempo, experiencia y evolucion. Su caracteristica basica es que de entre muchas variables ecologicas, siempre escoge una (la mejor), descartando las restantes, por innecesarias. Gigerenzer arguye que la regla del pulgar supera frecuentemente la sabiduría de los expertos, agregando que en ciencia tambien se emplean intuiciones (saltos cualitativos), sea que existan o no, datos suficientes.

Gigerenzer aduce tambien que la mayoria de personas no estan equipadas para manejar incertidumbres, o tomar riesgos calculados, a pesar que existen estrategias para ello. Mas que negar la incertidumbre en muchos aspectos de nuestra vida, el ciudadano comun deberia reconocer su falta de conocimiento de principios de pensamiento estadistico (analfabetismo numerico según John Alan Paulos). Nuestra reciente historia pasada fue amiga de la certeza y la certidumbre. El algebra, la geometría y el calculo nos enseñaron a pensar en un mundo de certeza. Algunos medicos dicen “si le digo a mis pacientes que el tratamiento no es 100% seguro, se ponen nerviosos”. En realidad, todos los profesionales deberian proporcionar toda la información (pros y contras). Según algunas encuestas, tanto en USA como en Europa, si a una mujer de 40 años le informan que su mamografía es positiva para cancer, tanto como sus medicos no tienen claro si las posibilidades de tener cancer son : 99%, 95%, 90% o solo 50%. La posibilidad de que una mujer con cancer (diagnosticada previamente), tenga una mamografía positiva, es 90%. Si no tiene
cancer, la probabilidad de que su mamografía sea positiva (falsos positivos), es 9 %. En terminos tecnicos su chance de tener cancer es : 1%. Según Gigerenzer, cuando esta mujer pregunto ¿Tengo cancer?, 1/3 de medicos de experiencia respondieron : tiene 90%, de posibilidades, otro 1/3: 50%-80% y el 1/3 restante : entre 1% - 10%. Gigerenzer recomienda explicar esto con frecuencias naturales (como en nuestra vida diaria, que demandan menos computación): piense en una muestra de 100 mujeres. 1 (1% de la muestra), de ellas con cancer de mama probado, tiene 90% de posibilidades de que su mamografía sea positiva. 9, de las 99 mujeres restantes (sin cancer), tendran mamografías positivas (9 falsos positivos). Sumando : 10 de 100 mujeres, tendran mamografías positivas. 1 de cada 10 mamografias positivas (de esta muestra), pertenecera a una mujer con cancer, una probabilidad bastante baja (1% de la muestra).

No comments: